Sundays In NY Photo Workshop teaches you how to use your camera technically, inspire you aesthetically with ‘The Art of Seeing,’ leaving you with a style and a new found passion. - Judith Farber, founder
Most of us use our cell phones to take photos. The advancement in these devices is astounding. What’s next a 40 mg cell? shhhh it’s coming…! But did you know that photography is considered the most widely popular medium of creative expression in the world? We are inundated and overly stimulated with photos. And with reason, they hold tremendous power as illustrated in the media, the fashion world, advertising, to our personal lives.
In the Sundays in NY Photography classes, we use compelling and persuasive tools to expand our vision and style, documenting what we see in real life to a higher level. Whether it’s a hobby, a profession or merely a creative expression, there’s something in it for all ages to explore and enjoy with little or no preparation. Or is there?
Sundays in NY Photography Workshops was created by documentary and travel photographer, Judith Farber as a fun, creative, inspiring group activity to do on a Sunday in New York (after The NY Times and watching Fareed Zakaria!). Since everyone has some form of camera, what better place to test your imagination than on the streets in one of the most exciting cities of the world.
Sundays in NY began with Photography Composition Workshops which have become so popular that the sessions were expanded to Saturdays along with the new addition of classes that complement the street workshops. The Technical workshop – photography classes where you learn the functions of your camera, the Night Photography workshop – get great shots in the most exciting nightlife city in the world, the Portrait, Architecture, and the NEW online Image Review Critiquing Session – your photographs are critiqued, learning the tool of self-editing, this is the one that forever changes how and what you shoot.
All cameras from cell, point and shoot to professional SLR/DSLR’s are welcome, including all photography levels and ages, beginners to professionals.
Where ever you are on your journey, there are specific steps and photography classes offered to further enhance your skills.
Here is some order to that process:
1. Purchase a good point and shoot or DSLR camera that is comfortable to hold along with chosen lenses that give you the capability to do what you love (ok, latest iPhones too!)
2. Take Technical classes (1 and 2) to understand the functions of your camera
3. Take Composition 1 (can be taken before the Technical class) and Comp 2, learn “how to see,” creating perfectly framing
4. Get your images Critiqued, with an Image Review Session, the crucial feedback in how/what to do to improve your photos going from blah to great, becoming skillful at self-editing, finding your style, and a lot more
5. Acquire the skills using one of the post processing tools to manipulate your photos. Post Processing software varies from simple iPhoto apps, Picassa, Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0 (free), Adobe Photoshop Elements (great for basics, approx. $120, latest is 12) to the more complex, Adobe Photoshop (latest is CS6 – $600) and added workflow management tools of Apple Aperture (3.4.3) or Adobe Lightroom (5). We offer a Private Photoshop or Lightroom session
6. Have fun! Share and display your photos, enter contests, use as gifts
7. Practice! Take specialized classes that might include Portrait, Landscape, Lighting, Architecture, etc
Special report, The Art Of Seeing
Click on the Workshop section for registration and further detailed information….and begin your creative journey now!
Sundays In NY has been featured in The New York Times, Daily Candy, Double Exposure, Amazon, NY Open Center, City Bird